Learning to program is like learning a foreign language
I call myself a language enthusiast but never thought of this before, somehow this doesn’t fit, although the similarities are completely obvious.
- They share the same “logical cluster”
- You also have to learn “vocabularies”
- You can’t learn them in one day
- If you spend much time talking/writing it, you will get fluent in it
- And the most important similarity: Learning both of them is frustrating
The last point finally convinced me that learning programming takes much more time than expected but also that I can pull it through and make is, as with learning English. Even when you can speak it kind of, it still takes up way more time to master it.